Identify the difference between whole grains and refined grains and choose healthier options.
Practice choosing affordable fruits with little added sugar
Identify dairy options that are low in added sugar and low in unhealthy fat.
Finding a Balance
This 8 week program is designed for low-income adults who are raising children and who have pre-diabetes, diabetes or who live in a household with someone with diabetes. This series can be taught at an agency with a group of adults or as a series of home visits. During this series of 8 hands on, interactive classes, adults will learn to:
- Explore key steps in setting successful health goals.
- Recognize the role different heath care providers can play in managing pre-diabetes or diabetic.
- Recognize 3 key factors for a healthy lifestyle: maintaining healthy weight, eating a healthy diet and being physically active on a regular basis.
- Gain familiarity with the Healthy Diabetes Plate model.
- Recognizing and creating a balanced Healthy Diabetes plate.
Last updated April 27, 2020